Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Scarlett O'Hara: Green Drapery Dress

I spent a long time looking for this Scarlett O'Hara Barbie dressed in green drapery to complete the Gone with the Wind series and finally found her at the Barbie Extravaganza in 2005. Every time I see curtains (umm... I must confess, even shower curtains), I envisage making a dress from it... but with my sewing skills, perhaps not! The following scene is a conversation between Scarlett O'Hara and Mammy:

Scarlett: I'm so thin and so pale, Mammy. And I haven't got any clothes!
Suddenly she straightens up as she catches a glimpse of the green portieres hanging at the windows. She swings around abruptly and with sudden brisk decision, walks to them.
Scarlett: (fingering the material and looking up) Scoot up to the attic and get Ma's old box of dress patterns, Mammy.
Mammy: Whut you up ter wid Miss Ellen's po'teers?
Scarlett: You're going to make me a new dress.
Mammy: Not outta Miss Ellen's po'teers! Not while Ah got bref in mah body!
Scarlett: (still staring at the portieres) Great balls of fire! They're my portieres now! (she jerks down the portieres, pole and all; drapes the material over her shoulder; turns back to Mammy)
Scarlett: I'm going to Atlanta for that three hundred dollars, and I've got to go looking like a queen.


Barbie's brown hair has more clearly defined ringlets compared to my other dolls in the series. She wears a green feathered hat which is trimmed with gold tassels. Her luscious green velvet gown has long sleeves and an open collar neckline, and is trimmed with gold braiding and tassels. Barbie wears white platelets and a white tulle petticoat hoop crinoline. Vivien Leigh who played Scarlette was beautiful, hence she would have looked stunning wearing anything, even a dress made of drapes!

Release date: 1 January 1994
Label: Collector Edition
Ebay price as at June 2012: US$40 - US$50

No comments:

Post a Comment